Lead Product Manager - GOV.UK Notify
15 November 2021
Who we areGDS exists to help government make brilliant public services that empower people in the UK. We work at the very centre of government to drive digital transformation, focused on users. We build and maintain common platforms, products and tools for others to use and create great public services that are accessible, inclusive and easy to use. We also work with departments to identify patterns, share learning and create change to make a government more efficient.
Our teams are organised around delivering on our priorities, these are:
- Make it easier for people to find what they are looking for on GOV.UK
- Build common service platforms to make it simpler and cheaper to build quality digital services
- Promote agile, user-centred design practices both in the UK and across the world
What you'll do
We are looking for a Lead Product Manager for GOV.UK Notify – our high profile messaging platform and one of the products in our Government as a Platform programme.
GOV.UK Notify lets service teams across the public sector send text messages, emails and letters to their users cheaply and easily, improving the user’s experience.
Launched 5 years ago, Notify is used by over 1,000 organisations and has sent 4 billion notifications including 1 billion SMS messages, on behalf of 5000 public services - including to alert people to flood warnings, remind soldiers of their medical appointments, update people on their passport applications and inform prison wardens of their rotas, plus hundreds of millions of messages letting people know their Covid PCR test results and confirming vaccination appointments.
To learn more about what Lead Product Managers do in government, please review the DDaT Capability Framework.
As a Lead Product Manager, you’ll:
own and be responsible for your product, developing and articulating a clear vision and achievable goals, developing and iterating the product strategy and roadmap
lead and support a multidisciplinary product team, turning that vision into reality, running, supporting and continuously improving its products to meet user needs
lead engagement with stakeholders, users and partner organisations, by running demos, blogging, speaking at conferences and facilitating workshops
maintain knowledge of the changing digital and technology landscape and the opportunities they provide to improve the delivery of public services in the UK
coach and mentor other members of the product community, identifying learning and development opportunities for people and teams
Who you'll be
We’re interested in people who have experience in a number of the following areas:
- product managing high-volume digital products in a fast-paced environment, working with multidisciplinary, agile teams, – from discovery to delivery, and continuous, data-led improvement and iteration of a mature, live product, ensuring a consistent approach to user and technical operational support
- engaging directly with users, including senior stakeholders and coordinating this engagement across a number of organisations to identify a common set of needs and priorities
- high-level understanding of modern technologies used in delivery of cloud-based software products - and able to explain the purpose and constraints of these technologies to non-technical people
- developing and selling a product strategy to secure funding and support for your products, including building and iterating economic and commercial models for products, that cover costs, benefits and pricing
- working in or with public sector organisations, including cross-organisational working and navigating spend control processes and procurement
- strong communication skills that enable you to engage with people through a range of channels and explain what you are doing and how you are doing it in clear and compelling ways
- recruiting, coaching and line management of product managers, identifying learning and development opportunities for individuals and teams
How to apply
You’ll need to send us a CV and cover letter. Your application will not be considered if you do not provide a cover letter. Your CV should show us your work history and previous experience. It should be well structured, succinct and written in clear language. Your cover letter should give examples of how your skills and experience match those needed for this role.
If you are brought forward to interview, a task may form part of your overall assessment.
How you'll be assessed
In the Civil Service, we use our Success Profiles. For each role we advertise we consider what you will need to demonstrate to be successful. This gives us the best possible chance of finding the right person for the job, drives up performance and improves diversity and inclusivity. We will be looking at your experience, career history and achievements that are relevant to the specific job role. We may assess your ability, strength, experience, technical/specialist skills and behaviours.
For this role the following behaviours are the most relevant:
Things you need to know
You can find out about the application process and practical details like our office locations on the things you need to know page.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity in our organisation. You can find out more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion and read our equal opportunities statement on our Diversity and Inclusion page.
Redeployment Interview Scheme
Civil Service employees (including Senior Civil Servants and Crown Arms Length Bodies) who are at risk of redundancy and who meet the minimum selection criteria in the job specification are guaranteed to progress to the next stage of the recruitment process. Selection will be on merit and at-risk candidates will be able to self-identify during the application stage,
For all guaranteed interview schemes, there may be exceptions made on reasons of time/resource for high-volume recruitment where the vacancy manager may decide to select the candidates who best meet the minimum criteria rather than all of those that meet the minimum criteria.
This opportunity is closed to applications.